Subject: Boxmaking

Boxmaking

From: Nicholas Hadgraft <nhadgraft>
Date: Friday, May 17, 2002
Deborah Evetts <bookconservation [at] morganlibrary__org> writes

>The Morgan Library will be moving its entire collection off site
>during a major construction project. We are looking for boxes for
>rare books. The KaseMake system is a possibility, but its
>availability is limited in this country. We welcome suggestions for
>boxes that have proven durable through moving and storage.

It is obviously very important to get book boxes on a made to
measure basis when moving large collections.

Conservation by Design in Bedford, England have been doing this for
some time using a Kasemake Machine. I have ordered a number of boxes
from them for transporting books from England to an exhibition in
the Vatican. I can vouch for their work because the results in this
instance were excellent. They have also supplied "smart" boxes for
me in the past and have been extremely successful.

I think that it is important to understand that these boxes are made
from a laminated folding box board made for the purpose by the
company. I know that they are willing to ship abroad, and that one
can simply supply book dimensions and receive boxes via the email.
Clearly this is a very competitive world and boxes must be supplied
appropriately, but these boxes are very cost conscious because the
board is laminated in-house for the purpose. I would suggest that
you get in touch with Stuart Welch at Conservation by Design to see
if something can be arranged in terms of taking a Kasemake for the
duration of your move, or in terms of having boxes made and shipped.
The impressive side of these boxes is the archival quality of the
board itself and the expected permanence of what you are buying. I
hope this is of some help.

Dr. Nicholas Hadgraft

                   Distributed: Monday, May 20, 2002