Subject: Framing

Framing

From: Ian Swindale <ian.swindale>
Date: Friday, May 17, 2002
Lauraine Armstrong <laurainea [at] gardtal__com> writes

>We have a number of paintings in our collection by a local artist,
>deceased, not famous, never likely to be (if that matters). Some
>were painted on canvas and others on canvas board. They were
>"framed" by the artist and are held in their frames by any
>combination of the following ...

It would be good practice to remove from your frames all old tapes
(such as masking tape) that are likely to deteriorate further. This
may also involve the removal of stubborn adhesive residues, and if
this is the case, then seek further advice on the appropriate
solvent.

Probably the only way to secure the pictures without further holes
from pins or brads is to use new tape, and brown gumstrip tape is
perfectly acceptable providing you are sticking it to a backboard
and not the artwork itself. Brass turnbuttons screwed to the back of
the frame work well. If the backboard is not flush with the back of
the frame, then fit a plain wood frame inside the back of the
original to make things level. It should be remembered that both
these methods are not as secure as pins or glazing brads.

Be careful when re-using old holes that screw threads bite properly
into the wood. If they don't, then it would be safer to make new
holes.

Ian Swindale
Conservation Department
The British Library