Subject: Bora-Care

Bora-Care

From: Frank Briscoe <fbriscoe>
Date: Thursday, May 16, 2002
Bora-Care for application with bleaching oil and stain

Our company is engaged in the replacement of about 30,000 linear
feet of cypress siding on a museum in Houston, Texas. The existing
(original) 1x6 cypress siding was installed 15 years ago over 1x4
nailers, and has been damaged by decay fungi in the most vulnerable
areas (for example, lower corners of windows). It is a landmark
modern building, and aside from a few modifications behind the
siding there will be no changes to the detailing.

The architect has specified "Bald Cypress (Taxodium distichum),
first growth sinker, clear heart, vertically sawn" material for the
replacement siding. It will receive 50% Cabot Number 0241 bleaching
oil and 50% Cabot Number 0244 weathering stain (and match protected
areas of the siding that will remain). Although the material costs
are quite high, we anticipate other significant costs in the
requisite complex scaffolding (over long bays of skylights) and at
any rate don't want this work to be necessary again in the next 30
or 40 years.

I have had positive results with Bora-Care applied by dip-diffusing
and spraying on wood materials that did not receive a finish, but I
have less experience using it on wood that not only will be finished
but must match an existing stain. I would be grateful to know from
members of the list what their experiences have been in matching
finishes on wood materials treated with Bora-Care, and if they have
achieved lasting installations using Bora-Care on cypress material
other than the first-growth specified for this project.

Frank Briscoe
Project Engineer
W.S. Bellows Construction Corporation

                  Distributed: Thursday, May 16, 2002