Subject: Storing tomb figures

Storing tomb figures

From: Suzi Shaw <suzi.shaw>
Date: Monday, May 13, 2002
I have been requested to find evidence supporting a (now lost)
article describing the storage and packing of Chinese ceramic tomb
figures. According to this article, tomb figures should be stored
either sideways or upside-down to prevent stressing the repaired
legs of the objects. Apparently because tomb figures are usually
found with their legs broken, this indicates that they should not be
stored on their feet (ie. the manner in which they are to be
displayed). It sounds to me like an unusual idea when thinking about
the physical stresses and loads but I was wondering if anyone else
has come across this article and could provide me with a copy.

Suzanna Shaw
NGV Foundation Conservator of Objects
National Gallery of Victoria
Melbourne, Australia