Subject: Plastazote

Plastazote

From: Nicholas Hadgraft <nhadgraft>
Date: Friday, May 10, 2002
I am writing concerning the use of plastazote as a lining material
in book boxes. It has been noted that white plastazote appears to
discolour (i.e. yellow) after some years of use as a lining
material.  Having consulted a variety of colleagues it has been
suggested to me that this discolouration is most likely due to
contaminants exuded from adjacent materials (perhaps the object it
seeks to protect) and that the plastazote cannot be the guilty
party. Has anyone tested plastazote for degradation properties, and
can they tell me of any research results.

We would like to continue to use plastazote for box lining in the
context of some extremely important collections.

Nicholas Hadgraft
Private Conservator, England

                   Distributed: Friday, May 10, 2002