Subject: Coins in fountains

Coins in fountains

From: William Minter <wmntr>
Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2002
Suzanne Hargrove <objcons [at] slam__org> writes

>We have a functioning marble fountain that people regularly throw
>coins in. As you may know U.S. pennies are no longer solid copper
>and corrode in the water.  Other than removing the coins more
>frequently (which is a drain on staff time).  Does anyone have ideas
>regarding corrosion prevention and removal of corrosion products
>from the coins. ...

I do not have an idea for corrosion prevention, but I wonder if it
would be possible to line the bottom of the fountain with a screen
or mesh material (something that would be almost invisible) that
would permit easy removal on a regular basis (weekly?, monthly?)?

Bill Minter
Book Conservator
Woodbury, PA

                   Distributed: Friday, May 10, 2002