Subject: Color standards

Color standards

From: Judy Bischoff <judith_bischoff>
Date: Wednesday, May 8, 2002
Judy Jacob <judy_jacob [at] nps__gov> writes

>I am looking for a color standard, specifically a ceramic tile that
>is used for calibrating colorimeters.  I think they are available in
>4 inch squares, and I know they come in white--they might also come
>in different colors. Does anyone know what these are, and where I
>can get one?

The standards you are interested in can be obtained through Minolta
Corporation. They are colored ceramic tiles which have been
calibrated at the manufacturer. The colors are stable. The tiles can
be used in the same way as the white standard ceramic tile, but are
used when you want to have more accurate measurements in a
particular color group. You can purchase a set of an array of
colors, or one particular tile in the color group you are performing
your measurements. I don't know the cost, but I'm sure that Minolta
could give you a price on single tile or a set of them.

Judy Bischoff, Ph.D.
Senior Conservation Scientist
National Park Service
Department of Conservation