Subject: Lenticular photograph

Lenticular photograph

From: Tara Kennedy <tkennedy>
Date: Monday, May 6, 2002
I am looking for information concerning a problem with a lenticular
photograph done by Barbara Kruger in 1985, "Untitled" (Read My
Lips/My Tongue is in Your Cheek).  It appears as though the plastic
layer of the photograph has yellowed over time (the section of the
lenticular photograph that holds the text "My tongue is in your
cheek"--essentially the hologram element), including the part of the
plastic not exposed to light (underneath the frame).  The owner
wants to know if it is inherent to the piece's manufacture, or a
result of past poor display or environmental conditions. My initial
evaluation points to "inherent to its manufacture," since the
plastic element usually is not an inert plastic (polystyrene is what
I have found to be the rigid plastic commonly used, at least in the
mass manufacture of holograms).  Has anyone seen anything like this
with lenticular materials?  Does anyone know what Kruger used to
create these works?

Tara D. Kennedy
Paper Conservator
Gerald R. Ford Conservation Center