Subject: Exhibiting books

Exhibiting books

From: Meg Brown <mmbrown>
Date: Thursday, May 2, 2002
    author.

I am entrusted with gathering information for a discussion group
session on book exhibition issues for the Annual AIC meeting in
Miami. The session will be from 10:40-12:20 on Monday, June 10,
2002. This session relies on in-put from others, and I know you
(book and library conservators anyway) have all dealt with these
issues. I am hoping many of you (even if you are not coming) will
send me ideas, questions, "how to" sheets, and images (please lots
of images) of supports, cradles and cases.

I have already had two wonderful volunteers to give quick tips on
"how to" and I'd love to see more people step forward. I am also
putting together a bibliography of articles related to book
exhibition-if anyone has citations I would love it if they would
share. In the discussion I would like to cover the whole gamut from
5 minute $5 cradles to 5 month $5,000 permanent exhibitions.
Supports and cradles are important to discuss, but I have heard many
folks are especially interested in how to design the perfect cases
for book exhibition (if there is such a thing?) so ideas and images
in that area are also welcome!

I think this is an area that we could use some time to share our
successes and problems; I also think images would help a lot-I am
putting together a digital presentation-so you can send me images of
any type and I can scan them in. Please send questions, ideas and
any digital photos to me at mmbrown [at] ukans__edu, or send slides,
photos, etc. to

    Meg Brown
    135 Watson Library
    University of Kansas