Subject: Coins in fountains

Coins in fountains

From: Suzanne Hargrove <objcons>
Date: Thursday, April 25, 2002
We have a functioning marble fountain that people regularly throw
coins in. As you may know U.S. pennies are no longer solid copper
and corrode in the water.  Other than removing the coins more
frequently (which is a drain on staff time).  Does anyone have ideas
regarding corrosion prevention and removal of corrosion products
from the coins.  To date the marble of the fountain where coins
would lie is kept dry so there is not a problem of staining the
stone, though I would be worried about any chemical water additives
as the stone is occasionally splashed.  The problem we are having is
that the bank does not want to accept our coins as the corroded ones
damage their counting machines.

Suzanne Hargrove
The Saint Louis Art Museum

                    Distributed: Friday, May 3, 2002