Subject: Camphor

Camphor

From: Jill Haley <jill.haley>
Date: Wednesday, May 1, 2002
My institution has historically used camphor cubes placed in storage
areas as a insect repellent. Cubes have been placed in containers,
usually petri dishes or open jars, and either set in corners of
rooms or placed on storage shelves near objects. In no instance does
camphor come in contact with objects. However, I was wondering if
camphor is a risk to collections? I have heard that it might
possibly be a health risk to human health. Does anyone know if this
is the case? Should this practice be discontinued?

Jill Haley
Collections and Research
Otago Museum
PO Box 6202