Subject: Kachina mounts

Kachina mounts

From: Shannon L. Parker <shparker1>
Date: Friday, May 3, 2002
We have a large number of carved kachina figures for which we are
looking to create new mounts.  Our collections are housed in an open
storage facility, so we are looking for long-term mounts to support
figures without bases, without impinging too much on the overall
aesthetic, or mounts that will apply pressure to areas that will
distort over time.  Carved kachina figures often have cloth,
feathers, and other attachments that will distort if improperly
mounted.  Also, each figure is completely different in size, shape,
and attachments, so we are looking at a basic support which can be
easily modified to support the variety with which we are faced.  I
would be interested in hearing from anyone who has been faced with
supporting objects with similar difficulties, such as dolls, as well
as suggestions for mount fabricators.

Shannon L. Parker
Collections Manager
School of American Research