Subject: Tongue and groove joining in 17th century Netherlandish panel paintings

Tongue and groove joining in 17th century Netherlandish panel paintings

From: Barbara Schoonhoven <schoonhoven.b>
Date: Wednesday, April 24, 2002
As a student from the School of Conservation in Maastricht (SRAL)
I'm currently working as an intern at the Mauritshuis in The Hague.
In relation to the research and treatment of a Rembrandt-school
panel painting, Minerva in her Study, tentatively dated 1628-30.
We are interested in examples of tongue and groove joining in 17th
century Northern Netherlandish panel paintings. As this panel
consists of three oak planks joined in this way.

The panel was in the 19th century thinned down (now 0.5 cm thick)
and a cradle was mounted. The planks therefore now appear jointed
with a halflap joint. However, as the panel was originally thicker
(ca. 7 to 8 mm) we can conclude that it must have been a tongue and
groove joint. Because of the thinning down of the panel and a later
slight trimming of the edges only the bottom shows remains of a
bevelling of 1 to 9 mm.

>From the literature I have learned that the tongue and groove
joining is very rare in 17th century panel paintings, especially in
the Northern Netherlands. For comparison I would be interested in
information of other examples of this joinery. All information on
this subject will be gratefully received as this might place the
panel in a larger context.

Barbara Schoonhoven, paintings conservation student
C/o Mauritshuis
Korte Vijverberg 8
2513 AB The Hague
The Netherlands