Subject: Gilding

Gilding

From: Margaret Sawicki <margarets>
Date: Wednesday, April 24, 2002
Mayu Takakuwa <mayu_takakuwa [at] yahoo__co__uk> writes

>I am a student in the final year of a Masters degree in the
>Conservation of Historic Objects at the University of Lincoln
>(formally De Montfort University) in U.K. I am intending to write my
>dissertation on the Use of Non-traditional Methods and Materials in
>Gilded Wood Conservation.  I would be very grateful if anyone had
>any useful information concerning this topic and use or has used
>non-traditional gilding methods and materials in their conservation
>work.  Any details of the frequency of use and why such methods and
>materials are chosen in the decision-making process would be
>extremely welcome.

For the last three years I have been conducting PhD research into
non-traditional in-gilding methods for compensation of losses in
conservation of gilded wooden objects, at the University of Western
Sydney, Sydney, Australia. I have been searching conservation
literature for any information regarding this topic and must admit
that it is rather limited to several articles. You can contact me by
e-mail regarding these titles. I would also suggest to contact
professor Jonathan Thornton at the Art Conservation Department of
the State University of New York, Buffalo, who conducted some
research and published several papers on this subject.

I would be very interested in the outcomes of your inquiries.

Malgorzata Sawicki
Senior Conservator
Head of Frame Conservation
The Art Gallery of New South Wales