Subject: Reinforcing sculpture joints

Reinforcing sculpture joints

From: Suvi Leukumaavaara <gattopardos>
Date: Tuesday, April 23, 2002
Two years ago on this mailing list (In Conservation DistList
Instance: 13:47 Tuesday, March 14, 2000), when I was working on my
thesis I asked for information about (unusual) materials used for
strengthening joints of wooden sculptures, and in particular if
someone had knowledge of tendon or swim bladder or something similar
been used for that purpose. The material in question was proved to
be (animal) tendon, and for those who were interested in the subject
and have contacted me; an article about this investigation and the
conservation of the sculpture has been published in the latest issue
of Restauro magazine (Callwey Editing House, Munchen, Germany),
3/2002. See also the editorial of issue 2/2002. If anyone has
experience of this material I would be interested to hear about it.

Suvi Leukumaavaara
Conservator
Finnish National Gallery

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 23, 2002