Subject: Hantavirus

Hantavirus

From: Gretchen Voeks <gretchen_voeks>
Date: Wednesday, April 17, 2002
We are currently holding a number of collections that came into our
labs contaminated with rodent droppings and urine.  These are
collections from southwestern sites and are a potential hantavirus
danger.  Instructions for cleaning buildings include liberal dousing
with bleach or Lysol, or exposing the space to direct sunlight.
Bleach and Lysol may damage the wooden, paper and textile components
of the archeological objects. Sunlight may not penetrate deeply
enough into the body of the wood.  Can anyone suggest other methods
of killing this virus without harming the objects?  Is there a known
life-span for hantavirus?  Can we simply store these objects in
polyethylene bags for a year or two while waiting for the virus to
die?

    **** Moderator's comments: There has been a bit of discussion on
    this topic; see the archives at
    http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/

Gretchen Voeks
Senior Conservator
Western Archeological and Conservation Center
National Park Service
1415 N. 6th Ave.
Tucson, AZ  85705
USA