Subject: Barriers

Barriers

From: Sandy Easterbrook <fixart>
Date: Thursday, April 11, 2002
I am treating a series of large (6 feet wide and up to 20 feet high)
acrylic paintings in the stairwell of a public library. As the works
have suffered badly from the abuse of passers-by, I would like to
shield the accessible portions (36" x 72") with some type of clear
barrier. A plexiglas prototype was deemed to cause too much glare
(the stairwell has large north-facing windows and is artificially
lit on the sides). Non-reflective plexi of a sufficient thickness
must be cell cast and is beyond the library's budget. So is
Lexan--and I'm told it would be damaged by regular cleaning.

My questions are: would non-reflective, tempered glass slotted into
wooden brackets be too dangerous? Is there an alternative barrier
material? Is there a non-yellowing film which would cut glare on the
Plexi but not alter spectral transmission, considering that the
protected and unprotected parts of the paintings have to "age" at
the same rate? And no, the windows are not filtered, although I am
trying to interest the library in such preventive measures.

Sandy Easterbrook
Easterbrook Conservation Services
Saskatoon Canada

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 16, 2002