Subject: Lining fabric sought

Lining fabric sought

From: Michael J. O'Malley <michael.o'malley>
Date: Tuesday, April 9, 2002
We are about to re-order white sailcloth lining fabric for our lab.
Once again, we are faced with the perennial discussion around
finding a more natural looking lining fabric.  For aesthetic
considerations, we would prefer a tan-coloured fabric. We have seen
Sunbrella's acrylic awning fabric and Art and Conservation's beige
woven polyester as possible alternatives, but neither of these is
ideal, since we prefer not to compromise the physical
characteristics afforded by sailcloth (lightweight, stiff, low
texture, inert).  We were wondering if others have found a suitable
alternative to white sailcloth for lining and if there are other
materials or suppliers out there we could investigate?

Michael O'Malley
Centre de conservation du Quebec

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 9, 2002