Subject: Shrunken head

Shrunken head

From: Katerina Koukouli <kkoukouli>
Date: Tuesday, April 9, 2002
Has anyone ever done any analytical work on residues found on
shrunken heads? If so, or if you can think of any literary reference
to anything similar, please get in touch.

We are currently trying to identify possible ways of dealing with a
thick, yellowish and tacky liquid on one of our shrunken heads, that
seems to be exuding from the head itself. Ideally, we would like to
find out whether this is a by-product of the preparation of the head
itself, or a result of a past treatment, for which we have no record
unfortunately.

Katerina Koukouli
Conservation Department
Pitt Rivers Museum