Subject: Cold storage for glass plate negatives

Cold storage for glass plate negatives

From: Jane Hinwood <jhinwood>
Date: Monday, April 8, 2002
William L. Hopkins <whopkins [at] uwyo__edu> writes

>We are currently considering our options regarding placing our glass
>plate negatives into cold storage.  Our unit is set at 32 degrees F.
>with a relative humidity of 40%.  We are planning to place those
>plates that are in the worst condition into storage first, using a
>24 hour cool down period in a beverage cooler to slowly equalize
>conditions.  My question is will the cold conditions exacerbate any
>peeling of the emulsion from the glass plate or otherwise weaken the
>adhesion between the glass and the emulsion? ...

The only source that I know of that states that storage of collodion
wet plate negatives and positives, tintypes and albumen photographic
materials at below 5 deg. C (41 deg. F)is to be avoided, is,

    Conservation of Photographic Materials, Fact Sheet, 1999
    Stephen Ball, Susie Clark and Peter Winsor
    Museums and Galleries Commission UK
    <URL:http://www.museums.gov.uk>

I have stuck to this recommendation.  These exceptions, noted above,
are I believe, more appropriately stored in cool storage (14-18 deg.
C or 53-65 deg. F) than cold storage. I would be very interested in
any other opinions on this recommendation.

Jane Hinwood
Photographic Conservator
State Library of Victoria
Melbourne Australia