Subject: Odor in cow hide

Odor in cow hide

From: Sue Valis <suev>
Date: Thursday, April 4, 2002
The following is posted on behalf of a private owner of a drum, who
is not on the Cons DistList.

    I have recently purchased an African drum with a cow hide
    playing surface. It appears that every time there is higher
    humidity, the drum develops a particularly nasty odour.

    I have gone back to the place of purchase, only to be advised
    that I should rub some salt into the skin. Can anyone offer an
    explanation for the smell and a way of getting rid of it.

Sue Valis
Conservator
Australian Museum
6 College Street