Subject: Cold storage for glass plate negatives

Cold storage for glass plate negatives

From: William L. Hopkins <whopkins>
Date: Friday, March 29, 2002
We are currently considering our options regarding placing our glass
plate negatives into cold storage.  Our unit is set at 32 degrees F.
with a relative humidity of 40%.  We are planning to place those
plates that are in the worst condition into storage first, using a
24 hour cool down period in a beverage cooler to slowly equalize
conditions.  My question is will the cold conditions exacerbate any
peeling of the emulsion from the glass plate or otherwise weaken the
adhesion between the glass and the emulsion?  We are planning to
make copy negatives of these plates before placing them in storage
so they should not be disturbed very often, and cycling should not
be an issue.  I would welcome any advice or observations anyone
might have on this subject or any other insight into cold storage
concerns.

William L. Hopkins
Coordinator, Archival Services
American Heritage Center