Subject: Historic painting materials

Historic painting materials

From: Perry Hurt <phurt>
Date: Thursday, March 28, 2002
I am in search of historic fine art paints, pigments, mediums,
artists' tools, and related materials for an up coming exhibition at
the North Carolina Museum of Art and possible publication.

The exhibition will focus on paint from pre-historic times to the
present, particularly as that history relates to our art collection.
We are focusing on paint itself (medium, pigments, technology) more
than painting technique although technique will certainly enter into
the exhibit.  I'm attempting to show how the materials of paint have
influenced how and what artists created, how technological advances
changed paint, and the artists' reaction to those changes.  All the
major mediums could be covered.  At this point we are focusing on
egg tempera, oil, watercolor, and acrylic (possibly distemper,
glair, fresco, and some other modern paints).  Examples of art works
incorporating the various mediums will largely come from our own
collection (Egyptian, Greek, roman, late medieval European,
renaissance, baroque, neoclassical, impressionist, modern, etc.).
Our museum web site can give you a feel for our collection:
<URL:http://www.ncartmuseum.org>

A major part of the exhibition will be paints, mediums, brushes,
palettes, and related materials of specific artists, schools, or
eras represented in our collection.  Also of interest are
self-portraits, photographs, and other depictions of artists
painting in their studios, palette and brushes in hand, of all eras.
We would like to borrow or reproduce as much of this material as
possible.  Any information you would care to relate about
collections of specific materials would be helpful.

Perry Hurt
Conservator for Regional Conservation Services
North Carolina Museum of Art
4630 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC  27699-4630
919-839-6262 ext.2207