Subject: Polyester film

Polyester film

From: Amparo R. De Torres <ator>
Date: Thursday, March 28, 2002
Library of Congress Amended Update on Acceptance of
Polyester Film Products for Use in Paper Encapsulation

In a recent announcement, we indicated that polyethylene
terephthalate (PET) films such as DuPont Teijin Films Mylar D and
Melinex 516 are no longer being manufactured.  This was incorrect.
We have been informed by a DuPont Teijin Films representative that,
while Mylar D has been discontinued, Melinex 516 is still available
through DuPont Teijin Films U.S. Limited Partnership, Wilmington,
DE.

Other films, which the Library will be testing for appropriate
encapsulation and archival purposes, are also available from DuPont
Teijin Films.  Anyone interested in contacting DuPont Teijin Films
directly about these products contact

    Mr. Bobby Reekes
    1-800-635-4639
    bobby.l.reekes [at] usa__dupont__com

Another acceptable PET film is Hostaphan 43SM film, made by
Mitsubishi Polyester Film, LLC, of Greer, SC.

Other interested manufacturers are invited to send samples for
laboratory testing and approval to the attention of

    Chandru J. Shahani
    Chief, Preservation Research and Testing Division
    Library of Congress
    Washington DC 20540-4560\

As it develops, we will continue to post information about this
subject at <URL:http://www.loc.gov/preserv/>.  We are pleased to
share information about product testing with the preservation
community, with the understanding that information concerning
favorable test results in no way implies product endorsement.
Vendors are strictly prohibited by law from implying or claiming
that the Library of Congress endorses any specific product, service,
or material.

Amparo R. de Torres
Special Projects Officer
Conservation Division, LMG 38