Subject: Lead toxicity

Lead toxicity

From: Catherine Myers <csmyersc2>
Date: Tuesday, March 26, 2002
Since the last time I had a lead test, 15 years of mural paintings
and architectural surfaces conservation projects have passed. During
that time, I've worked on projects involving lead, such as chipping
away paints from ornamental plasters; chemically stripping lead
paints; and removing canvas adhered with lead white.  In a
moderately casual fashion, I've used the proper respirators and
other protective gear.  Much to my surprise I have recently
discovered that I am carrying extremely high levels of lead.
Fortunately, lead can be chelated out of one's system in relatively
gentle ways with seaweed extract and a combination of N-acetyl
cysteine, glulathione, and lipoic acid; or alternatively with EDTA.
I hope others don't need the warning,

Cassie Myers
Washington, DC

                 Distributed: Thursday, March 28, 2002