Subject: Light exposure

Light exposure

From: Nancy Pollak <nrpollak>
Date: Tuesday, March 26, 2002
I am currently treating a 4x6 foot painting on muslin fabric.  It
was painted by a sign painter, in the style of painted theater
curtains, but it is stretched on a stretcher. The owners (a public
library) plan to have the painting framed, with UV-filtering
glazing.  It will hang in an area where it will receive no direct
light exposure, except for one part of the year, when the sun will
shine on part of the wall where the painting will hang.  Because of
the size of the painting and the configuration of the space, they
are limited as to where the painting can be hung, but they realize
that they need to do something about the light exposure.  They are
willing to consider all options, including removing the painting
during the time of year when the sun is a problem, covering the
painting, or using a shutter system on the skylights causing the
problem.  I'm interested in hearing how others have dealt with such
a problem, with either high or low-tech solutions.

Nancy Pollak
Art Care Associates

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 26, 2002