Subject: Storage of oversized drawings

Storage of oversized drawings

From: William Minter <wmntr>
Date: Saturday, March 23, 2002
Avgi E. Tzakou <tzakou [at] otenet__gr>

>Does any one know how to store large papers (drawings) from the 19th
>century as big as 8 x 6 meters (25 x 20 feet)?

Based on some work done by the Public Records Office in London, we
have developed an idea for oversized items. It involves a tube with
the item rolled around the outside with two sheets of polyester film
as a single weld envelope. The leading edge of the film is attached
to the tube; two sheets of film are welded together near the leading
edge and the two sheets extend (with no welds) beyond the document;
and the trailing end has a protector of cloth that is tied and the
oversized width tucks inside the tube. If this does not describe the
idea, we have a drawing that can be sent.

To view the document, the intention is that the assembly is unrolled
and the extensions of cloth and mailing tube are sufficient to hold
the item flat.

William Minter Bookbinding and Conservation, Inc.
4364 Woodbury Pike
Woodbury, PA   16695
814-793-4020
Fax: 814-793-4045