Subject: Exhibit cases

Exhibit cases

From: Elizabeth Brown <brownce>
Date: Thursday, March 14, 2002
I am looking for information on the possible hazards of wall board
in museum cases. Designers are currently specing some of the large
cases in our museum without backs, i.e. with sides and a glass face
simply attached to the wall in order to save on the cost of adding a
Medex back and making the case a discrete entity onto itself.
Besides the difficulty with mounting, I am wondering if there are
any specific hazards to having wall board in a case. Also, any
experiences anyone has had with environmental or structural problems
or other issues that have occurred in this type of case would be
extremely useful and very much appreciated.

Elizabeth Brown
Objects Conservator
National Museum of the American Indian
Cultural Resources Center