Subject: Pigment identification

Pigment identification

From: Rebecca Ellison <pelter>
Date: Thursday, March 14, 2002
I have recently been involved in the conservation of a fresco
painting by the Scottish artist William Dyce at Osborne House on the
Isle of Wight. It was painted in 1847. During UV investigation I
found a yellow that fluoresced a strong pinkish-orange colour. I
have not encountered this before and wondered if anyone knew of this
phenomenon and could help me with its identification.

Rebecca Ellison
Paintings Conservator
International Fine Art Conservation Studios Ltd
43-45 Park Street
Bristol BS1 5NL
United Kingdom
+44 117 929 3480