Subject: Sterilization

Sterilization

From: Valery Monahan <valery.monahan>
Date: Wednesday, March 13, 2002
Georgia Fox <gfox [at] csuchico__edu> writes

>Does anybody out there in listland have a solution for sterilizing
>dirt to go into a museum exhibit--a method that isn't toxic or
>doesn't offgas?

A completely non-toxic way to sterilize soil is to cook it. This
method is used by gardeners to prevent microbial growth and pest
activity in greenhouses and planters. I have not done this since
grade school, so consulted an internet gardening site for
temperature and duration. They suggested 180-200F for 10 to 15
minutes. You might want to check out Rose Smart's recent DistList
submission on using sunlight to heat-kill museum pests. If you have
a great deal of soil, the method she describes would be much easier
than putting batches through a conventional oven or micro-wave.

Valery Monahan
Conservator
Heritage Branch
Dept. of Tourism