Subject: Wood filling materials

Wood filling materials

From: Joanna Zajaczkowska-Kloda <piotr.kloda>
Date: Thursday, March 7, 2002
Antonia Iliopoulou <iliotonia [at] hotmail__com> writes

>I am a Conservation student and I am doing my Major Project on a
>Greek Icon. The Icon has insect damage on the wooden support which
>has caused some loss of paint and loss of wooden material(holes,
>tunnels). The paint layer is affected locally and some flaking and
>cracking is obvious. I would like to know which material is best to
>use as a filler  for the wood.

On the basis of my experience I can say that as filler for small
holes in wood the acrylic resin with wood powder is the best
material. For big loss of wood I use the filler of polyurethane
resin mixed with wood shavings but it is much more difficult in
work. If you prefer more traditional materials, you can use animal
glue with wood powder. If you need some more information please
don't hesitate to contact me.

Joanna Zajaczkowska-Kloda
conservator-restorer
Zajaczkowska-Kloda Studio