Subject: Lighting for digital photography

Lighting for digital photography

From: Pat Griffin <pgriffin>
Date: Tuesday, March 12, 2002
Has anyone investigated the lighting parameters for high end digital
photography to determine what systems are safest for the artwork.
Does anyone have hard facts on how the lighting requirements for
digital affect the artwork (ie. light levels and changes in
temperature and relative humidity).  For instance, I have heard that
the scanback cameras require intense and prolonged light,  so much
so that besides the high light exposure that the artifacts receive,
the immediate environment surrounding the object might be
dramatically altered (i.e., up to 88.5 deg. F and 30% RH in ten
minutes from 72 deg. F and 45% RH prior to lighting).  I have heard
of immediate and visible dimensional changes to parchment.  I
appreciate any feedback on this issue.

                  Distributed: Tuesday, March 12, 2002