Subject: Traveling exhibitions

Traveling exhibitions

From: Roeland Stulemeijer <cdnusm>
Date: Tuesday, March 5, 2002
Our museum is in the process of developing travelling
exhibitions. My questions are for those that have
dealt or are dealing with travelling exhibitions;

    *   To what degree does the Conservator stay involved in a
        travelling exhibition?

    *   Is there a need for the Conservator to examine the artefacts
        in between locations, after each transportation?

    *   Does a Conservator go over to the other venues/museums to
        check on the facilities, to see if the environment for the
        artefacts will be the same or similar? (RH, Temp, light
        levels even safety wise)

I could be overreacting to travelling exhibitions but I am much
rather safe then sorry. Your candid reactions, on and off list, will
be very much appreciated.

Roeland Stulemeijer
Conservator
National University of Singapore Museums
+65 6874 8817
Fax: +65 6778 3738
50 Kent Ridge Crescent
Singapore 119279