Subject: Longterm storage of books

Longterm storage of books

From: Ercole Gialdi <rgi.ge>
Date: Thursday, February 28, 2002
Sharon Connell <s.a.connell [at] leeds__ac__uk> writes

>I received this from a colleague:
>
>   "A friend has asked me for advice about packing up for perhaps
>    year-long storage the many hundreds, possibly thousands, of
>    books she and her husband own.  She wondered if there was some
>    recommended wrapping material she could get hold of from a
>    supplier and should it be acid-free, for instance?  I think she
>    anticipates having to wrap a lot of things individually (they
>    apparently have quite a lot of what she describes as
>    "antiquarian" material) and is keen to protect them as best she
>    can for this quite long period of time.  Her husband thinks dry,
>    clean newspaper would do--she does not!  Any suggestions/advice
>    most welcome."
>
>Obviously there's more to this than just wrapping material. I don't
>know what kind of storage facility they're headed for--could be a
>barn. Should I be recommending some sort of desiccant if the storage
>facility is not 'controlled'? What about potential pest problems? I
>searched back mailings to the DistList but found only questions on
>the subject and no answers. Any advice anyone?

Please see VELOXY <URL:http://web.tiscali.it/RGI_Genova/VELOXY.htm">
It should not be seen just as equipment to apply the anoxia method
for insect pest eradication; in fact it can be successfully applied
for long term storage of cultural heritage asset.

When the collections are conserved under inert gas, they are
protected against any kind of source of deterioration; pests, fungi,
atmospheric pollution, humidity, dust and oxidation.

Dr. Ing. Ercole Gialdi
R.G.I. Resource Group Integrator s.r.l.
Viale N. Sauro 8
16145 Genova