Subject: Heating museum materials

Heating museum materials

From: Monika Harter <hartemo>
Date: Thursday, February 28, 2002
Nynne Sethia <nynnecarl [at] hotmail__com> writes

>I'm working for a museum of cultural history, which is in the
>process of establishing a treatment facility against pests. The
>museum can afford to get a room which can either freeze or heat the
>objects. As a conservator I initially opposed the idea of heating
>museum objects, but it seems to have a few, but very important,
>benefits: If saves a lot of time, because you don't have to wrap
>each object carefully and tight, and it kills both insects and
>mold/fungus at the same time. ...
>... Is there anyone using or
>experimenting with heat treatment, who can give me some comments on
>their experience? If so, which material don't you heat (48 degrees C
>is said to be the minimum for killing insects)?

The heating chamber Howard Wellman refers to is called Thermo
Lignum.  Information can be found at
<URL:http://www.thermolignum.com> In Germany it has been
successfully used for pest management purposes, however, I have no
experience with it.

Monika Harter
Adelhausermuseum
Freiburg