Subject: Fireproof safes

Fireproof safes

From: Jack C. Thompson <tcl>
Date: Thursday, February 28, 2002
Jeanne Eichelberger <jeichelb [at] binghamton__edu> writes

>I pointed out the environmental problems with the safe and
>recommended that, in the absence of any likelihood that they could
>move the collections to a safer building, they should open the safe
>whenever staff was there to allow the air to circulate.

In concordance with Jeanne Eichelberger's experience, a few years
ago I conducted a CAP survey for a museum which stored records and
film in fire-proof filing cabinets.

I put my data logger into one of the drawers and went to lunch. When
the data were downloaded it was clear that the %RH inside those
particular filing cabinets was approximately 15% higher than the
ambient conditions.

My recommendation to the museum were substantially the same as Ms.
Eichelberger's.  Open the drawers weekly and leave them open all
day.

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon USA