Subject: Deterioration of microfiche

Deterioration of microfiche

From: Stuart M. Rohre <rohre>
Date: Thursday, February 21, 2002
    **** Moderator's comments: This query comes from a person who is
    not on the DistList and will not see any responses that are
    posted here.  Please respond directly to sender and if of
    general interest post it here as well

Are there treatment methods for neutralizing amine production in
mounted Microfiche cards that were accidentally exposed to high
humidity?  These were in a vault with a cooling system that had
excess condensation drip onto the cabinet enclosing drawers of the
fiche.

Because of the tightness of this security vault, there was an
amazing accumulation of the gases produced by this decay.

I advised the custodians that the first steps would be to circulate
fresh air through the vault, and perhaps insert blotting paper in
between the microfiche cards to try to contain the spread of the
amines.  However, if there are better methods that could neutralize
the action, without having to take out all the files, I would
appreciate knowing of them.

Stuart M. Rohre
Applied Research Labs

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 27, 2002