Subject: Longterm storage of books

Longterm storage of books

From: Sharon Connell <s.a.connell>
Date: Friday, February 22, 2002
I received this from a colleague:

   "A friend has asked me for advice about packing up for perhaps
    year-long storage the many hundreds, possibly thousands, of
    books she and her husband own.  She wondered if there was some
    recommended wrapping material she could get hold of from a
    supplier and should it be acid-free, for instance?  I think she
    anticipates having to wrap a lot of things individually (they
    apparently have quite a lot of what she describes as
    "antiquarian" material) and is keen to protect them as best she
    can for this quite long period of time.  Her husband thinks dry,
    clean newspaper would do--she does not!  Any suggestions/advice
    most welcome."

Obviously there's more to this than just wrapping material. I don't
know what kind of storage facility they're headed for--could be a
barn. Should I be recommending some sort of desiccant if the storage
facility is not 'controlled'? What about potential pest problems? I
searched back mailings to the DistList but found only questions on
the subject and no answers. Any advice anyone?

Sharon Connell
Conservation Officer
Leeds University Library, UK

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 27, 2002