Subject: Fire retardants

Fire retardants

From: Marian Kaminitz <kaminitzm>
Date: Wednesday, February 27, 2002
I would like to know if anyone has had experience with fire
retardants (coatings, spray applications, etc.)being used  inside
museum exhibit cases.  We are involved with planning exhibits that
will incorporate wood paneling and wood lattice structures as well
as a 'willow lodge' made of sapling sized branches within museum
exhibit cases.  Using fire retardants on the wooden structures has
been discussed.  Fire retardants are usually ammonium phosphate based
materials, but I'm sure there are others out there.

    1.  How detrimental are these materials to museum collections?

    2.  Can they be used safely (conservation-wise) within enclosed
        museum exhibit cases?

    3.  What are the problems encountered if any?

    4.  Any other information that might be helpful in determining
        whether to use fire retardants or not.

Marian A. Kaminitz
Head of Conservation
National Museum of the American Indian
Cultural Resources Center
4220 Silver Hill Road
Suitland, MD  20746
301-238-6624 ext: 6322
Fax: 301-238-3201

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 27, 2002