Subject: Transformer oil

Transformer oil

From: Alan J. Hawk <hawk>
Date: Wednesday, February 27, 2002
We collect a number of items that use high voltage transformers,
notably X-ray machines and electron microscopes.  (NB: I have been
assured by several knowledgeable sources that these types of
transformers did not contain PCB's).  These transformers contain oil
as heat sink/coolant.  The transformers are heavy grade steel.

Generally, since I have left the oil in the transformers unless
there is a logistical reason remove it (to reduce weight).  Is there
a conservation reason to remove it or should it be left in there?
Does oil have inherent vice that could haunt me later down the road?

Alan Hawk
Historical Collections
National Museum of Health and Medicine, AFIP
Bldg 54, Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Washington, DC  20306-6000
202-782-2205
Fax: 202-782-3573

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 27, 2002