Subject: Tyvek

Tyvek

From: Steven H. Silberg <sills>
Date: Friday, February 22, 2002
Many of you may know that Talas can no longer provide "Archivek,"
Curtis1000's converted Tyvek.

At the University of Delaware Library, we are in the middle of a
rehousing project where we have been using large sheets of the
Archivek (approximately 37 x 22 inches).  Unfortunately, we have run
out half way thorough our project.

As I see it, we have two options.  We can use one of the readily
available rolls of Tyvek and hope that there are no detrimental
effects from the "Antistat" coating or we can track down one of the
few food-grade Tyveks that do not have any coatings.  In either
case, we need your help.

Has any research been done about the various coatings found on
Tyvek?  Is it something to be concerned about?

Who are good suppliers for the uncoated Tyvek?

Steven H. Silberg
Library Assistant, Conservation Lab
Preservation Unit, Morris Library
University of Delaware

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 27, 2002