Subject: Storage of cameras

Storage of cameras

From: Jack C. Thompson <tcl>
Date: Wednesday, February 20, 2002
Valery Monahan <valery.monahan [at] gov__yk__ca> writes

>I am looking for some advice on the storage of camera collections.

I'm afraid that this won't help, but my personal collection of
cameras includes a Kodak Pony Premo II (4X5) and a Kodak Empire
State No. 2 (8X10 w/tilt and sway adjustments) as well as some
smaller format bellows cameras.

All but the 8X10 are stored closed.  The 8X10 is stored in a
half-closed condition, to reduce strain on the bellows and
associated woodwork.

>From time to time I still use these cameras, so the issue of light
leaks from desiccated bellows attracts my attention.

However, if the cameras are not to be used in the future I would
suggest a middle course.  Leave the cameras open, but with the
bellows only pulled approximately half-way open and cover them with
muslin to keep the dust off during storage and, if necessary, open
them full-out for display.

Jack Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon USA
503-735-3942  (phone/fax)

               Distributed: Wednesday, February 27, 2002