Subject: Architectural drawings

Architectural drawings

From: Esra Goknil I'Anson <esra.goknili'anson>
Date: Monday, February 18, 2002
Cecilia Vietto <cvietto [at] agatha__unr__edu__ar> writes

>I'm studying about transparent papers. At this moment, I'm working
>like collaborator in a project of the school of architects of my
>city, Rosario, Argentina. We have around 70 drawings on transparent
>paper from 1933 it shows important public buildings. The biggest
>problem that we have is to relax the drawings and flattening them.
>Could anyone help me to find useful bibliographic references?

I have recently worked on various documents which were architectural
drawings on transparent paper from the British Library's India
Office collections and I am aware of that there aren't many
articles/info written on this subject.

I could suggest Sally Ann Yates's article "The Conservation of
Nineteenth-Century Tracing Paper" which was published in "The Paper
Conservator" Volume 8 in 1984. She includes a short bibliography of
publications containing useful information on tracing paper. Chris
Cheffins had also presented a paper on "Tracing cloth, a history of
its manufacture and use, inherent problems as a support and some
treatment considerations" during the Society of Archivist
Conservation Training Conference in Aberystwyth-Wales last
September. This was also used for architectural drawings.

Esra Goknil I'Anson
The British Library
Conservation Department
London/United Kingdom