Subject: Esparto

Esparto

From: Jack C. Thompson <tcl>
Date: Friday, February 15, 2002
Michael Maggen <michaelm [at] imj__org__il> writes

>Our Ethnographic department is preparing an exhibition on the life
>of Libyan Jews, as part of their life activities they were dealing
>with commerce of Esparto fiber export to paper industry. This was
>true during the beginning of the previous century (20th century). We
>would appreciate any information in this matter and would like to
>have more resources about this type of paper, the uses and, if there
>is any possible way, to have some samples of paper made of esparto.

I'm only aware of one book completely devoted to the subject:
Esparto Paper, pub. by The Association of Makers of Esparto Papers,
Newman Neame, Ltd. 1956.  It is a large octavo.

The book has a brief photo section at the beginning which describes
the harvesting, preparation, and shipping of esparto grass, as well
as the processing in Britain.

At the end of the book there is a 19 page written description of the
history and process of converting esparto into paper.

In between are perhaps 100 samples of esparto paper and board.

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon USA
503-735-3942  (ph/fax)