Subject: Glitter

Glitter

From: Sydney Roby <sroby>
Date: Thursday, February 7, 2002
The following appeared in ARCHIVES and is reproduced here without
the knowledge or consent of the author

    **** Moderator's comments:
    This query comes from a person who is not on the DistList and
    will not see any responses that are posted here.  Please respond
    directly to sender and if of general interest post it here as
    well

    ...  I am an archivist (the only right now) in the office of
    Sen. Patrick Leahy (VT). Sen. Leahy recently received a
    hand-made card from a senior citizens' center.  Because of this
    card's attractiveness, we'd like to preserve it and possibly use
    it as a display item. We'd like it to be something that people
    can pick up and look at. And, given that it comes from a place
    that the senator has a special relationship with, he will want
    to save the card long term.  The problem is that it has a lot of
    glitter glued to the front that tends to fall off when the card
    is handled.  I don't mind getting glitter on me, but I guess
    some people do.  Also, it could conceivably lose all the glitter
    if handled a lot.  Is there a safe way to preserve the glitter
    without losing the "touchability" and appeal of the card?
    Thanks.

    Colleen Mason
    Office of Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (VT)
    202-224-4357