Subject: Copper leaf on paper

Copper leaf on paper

From: Jack C. Thompson <tcl>
Date: Friday, February 8, 2002
Susan Lunas <bookbinder [at] rgisp__com> writes

>The endpapers seem unusual, because they appear to have a copper
>leaf attached to white paper.  The flyleaf is copper colored with
>some dark greenish highlights.  The sole pastedown is mostly this
>dark green color.  Any good references to consult to verify that
>this is copper?  What about treatment?  Is there anything I should
>know about mending the small tears at the perimeters of the
>flyleaves? Like would the presence of copper affect any paste/tissue
>mends? Any references that address copper leaf on paper?

Without seeing the endpapers it is difficult to say.

>From the description, the endsheets may be actual metal leaf bonded
to paper, or bronze powder in a vehicle and printed on paper.  Some
dark green appearing on the paper suggests that verdigris is being
formed from a powder-based ink.

If the flyleaf exhibits 'some' dark green highlights and the
pastedown is "mostly" dark green, that suggests a reaction with
moisture (more moisture on the pastedown) which would suggest that a
minimum of moisture be used in any adhesive used to mend tears, and
more than usual attention toward keeping any adhesive from getting
on the face of the mend.

Among many references, a look through Printing Ink Technology by
E.A. Apps, Chemical Publishing Co. 1959, Printing Ink by Frank B.
Wiborg, Harper and Bros., 1926, and Encyclopedia of Printing,
Lithographic Inks and Accessories by Harry G. Kriegel, Superior
Printing Ink Co., Inc., 1932 may prove useful.

Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon USA
503-735-3942 (ph/fax)