Subject: White lead

White lead

From: Robert Mussey <rmussey>
Date: Wednesday, February 6, 2002
Since my original query on this (See Conservation DistList Instance:
15:51 Wednesday, January 23, 2002) , I have found a controllable
method which works to remove a cross-linked white lead/oil coating
from a similar coating under it. This was suggested to me by Richard
Wolbers.

It employs an aqueous system, with diethanolamine (a free base, pH
about 11), pH adjusted to about 9.5, gelled with methyl cellulose to
a thick paste. It works very very slowly but is very controllable.

Thanks to those who made suggestions.

Robert Mussey

                 Distributed: Friday, February 8, 2002