Subject: Odor in architectural drawings

Odor in architectural drawings

From: Sarah Talley <stalley>
Date: Sunday, January 27, 2002
We have recently acquired a number of architectural drawings in a
variety of formats.  Mylar, vellum, diazos, etc. were all shoved in
folders together. Some of the drawings smell like old fish.  Where
it is present in a folder, the smell has permeated everything in
that folder, so I can't quite tell which format is the source of the
problem.

I've worked with items with "vinegar syndrome" and I know what
ammonia smells like, and this odor is different.  I have not worked
with nitrate, which I'm told smells like old socks.  I'm afraid I
lack the olfactory training and experience to identify the problem,
and I don't have access to many reference materials in my workplace.

This collection is being weeded and will air out a bit as the
overstuffed folders are sorted into smaller ones, so I think the
odor will dissipate. However, since it is probably a symptom of some
kind of deterioration process, it would be nice to ID the
odoriferous items and segregate them.

Sarah Talley
The Presidio Trust
Project Archivist