Subject: Copper leaf on paper

Copper leaf on paper

From: Susan Lunas <bookbinder>
Date: Tuesday, January 29, 2002
I have a small book that I am about to repair, and wondered if any
of you have any suggestions on working with and treating the
endpapers.

This is a small book (5.25 x 7.5 inches, 13.5 x 19.5 cm and about
3/8 inches, 1cm thick).  Published by Dodge Publishing Company, New
York, no date. The cover/covering material is leather.  Cover and
text in fairly good condition (sewing loose, but not broken).

The endpapers seem unusual, because they appear to have a copper
leaf attached to white paper.  The flyleaf is copper colored with
some dark greenish highlights.  The sole pastedown is mostly this
dark green color.  Any good references to consult to verify that
this is copper?  What about treatment?  Is there anything I should
know about mending the small tears at the perimeters of the
flyleaves? Like would the presence of copper affect any paste/tissue
mends? Any references that address copper leaf on paper?

Susan Lunas
Many Moons Book Conservation
Book Conservation and Bookbinding by Hand
Editor: Binders' Guild Newsletter
2925 Powell Street
Eugene, Oregon

                 Distributed: Tuesday, February 5, 2002