Subject: Binding Tibetan books

Binding Tibetan books

From: Maria Fredericks <mf360>
Date: Monday, January 28, 2002
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has dealt with the
problem of binding modern Tibetan books in Western case-bindings.
These books are generally issued as unbound stacks (sometimes up to
4 inches high) of long, narrow paper leaves with two loose boards as
covers.  Typical leaf dimensions are roughly 3 x 14 inches.  The
long edge of the leaves corresponds to the western "spine", so that
the resulting bound volume is essentially shaped like a brick, and
functions like one too.  For security reasons, our libraries prefer
to bind these volumes, but their shape and format is decidedly
unsuited for western library binding.  We have been working with our
binder to come up with some specialized solutions, but would also
love to know how other libraries have coped with these materials.

Maria Fredericks
Head, Conservation Lab
Columbia University Libraries
109 Butler